Social Media Advertising as a vertical has expanded to all kinds of brands and occupations in the past couple of years. From selling a product online, getting users to fill lead forms, creating awareness about a brand, promoting an event, all of this can be achieved through social media. In fact it is of utmost importance for any brand to be present on social media for a successful online marketing campaign.
One of the primary platforms to advertise on social media is Facebook. Given the enormous amount of users that Facebook has, it is extremely important for brands to be present on this platform.
There are various ways to market your brand on Facebook. Demographic targeting, interest based targeting, device level targeting or job and designation targeting, all of these can be carried out on Facebook. However, these are things which every brand will carry out. The key is to be different, to be unique!
This article will give you a few insights on how to effectively use Facebook for your brand in a different manner:
A Way Around 20% Text Overlay:
- It is known that images and videos tend to be more effective and appealing to the user as compared to text
- However while advertising on Facebook, there is a restriction on the amount of text that can be included in the image. If the text occupies more than 20% area of the image, the ad will get disapproved
- This causes many advertisers to restrict the messaging to only plain text. But now, there is a way around for this, Promotion of Albums!
- By doing this, the text can be split up into two or more images and promoted as an album
Of course, not all brands or products can use this method. It depends on the type of product and messaging that the brand is promoting. Any brand which has messaging in the form of a story can make use of this strategy, in order to keep the users engaged with the brand
- Facebook gives the option of Custom Audience lists and Website Custom Audience lists
- Custom Audiences are used to target customers who have already registered or purchased from the brand’s website. This is done by using their email IDs, phone numbers, Facebook user IDs or mobile advertiser IDs
- The Website Custom Audiences are used to target users, who have previously registered, purchased or have even just visited the website. For this we need to place the remarketing pixel on the website and then create lists using different combinations of the pages visited
- After these remarketing lists are created, Facebook also gives us the option of creating Lookalike Audiences of these lists. However, many of us are unaware of the potential impact of Lookalike Audiences
- There are two ways to create a lookalike audience, one is based on similarity and the other is based on reach
- If we create a lookalike audience based on similarity, the ads will be shown to a smaller group of audience, who are most similar to the source Custom Audience. Facebook selects the top 1% of users in the selected country
- If the Lookalike Audience is created based on the Reach, Facebook selects the top 10% of the Facebook users in the selected country, and hence a larger audience list is created
- For one of our lead generation campaigns, we targeted the Lookalike Audience of users who have already visited the website
- We used the lookalike audience based on Similarity, and observed that we started getting leads at a very low cost per lead and a high conversion rate
The lookalike audiences can thus, be effectively used to get better conversions or to increase a brand’s customer base
Custom Audiences through other sources:
- Custom audience targeting is used to target the users who have already registered with your brand
- The list of the users’ email IDs or phone numbers is generally obtained from the client
- However, we can create the list if we have the access to the lead management system
- The lead management system (LMS) is where all the leads that are generated from a particular lead form on a website are recorded. This LMS contains all the information such as the source from where the user landed on the lead page, the details of the user such as name, phone number, email ID (all the data which was filled in the lead form)
- By creating a list of all such users, we can target users who have registered or filled the lead form from all the other sources using Custom Audience
This helps in retargeting a large number of users who are already associated with the brand. For example, people who have bought or registered for a particular mobile model can be shown ads of that specific mobile’s cover
Use of Call-To-Action button on image:
- Facebook places restrictions on the number of characters that can be used in text ads
- Sometimes, this confines the amount of information that can be conveyed via the ads
Facebook introduced the feature of Call-To-Action button for News Feed Ads in the year 2014
- However, there are only a limited number of call to action buttons, such as Shop Now, Learn More, etc. provided by Facebook
- But what if there are some other CTAs that need to be associated with the brand? As said earlier, the image appeals to the users and hence, the call to action button can be included in the image itself
- This will definitely help in increasing the CTR as it will enable the user to understand what the brand is providing and what can be expected on the landing page
However, one important point to keep in mind while doing this, is to ensure that the image satisfies all the ad policies of Facebook
Splitting the targeting groups:
- For one of the automobile brands that we advertise for, we tested by creating separate ad sets for different interest categories, for instance, entertainment, sports, car brands, etc.
- We used these different targeting groups to promote the posts
- The targeting which performed best and received maximum engagement can then be used for lead generation campaigns
This helps us in identifying the most relevant targeting which will further help in increasing the leads and achieving a lower cost per lead
Every new campaign will require a different approach and method to be followed based on its objective. This article covered some of the techniques which can be easily implemented but may not be known to all the advertisers. Many people know the working of the above mentioned concepts such as the text overlay and remarketing. However, it is also important to understand the various approaches which can be taken to implement them in an effective way.
While undertaking a social media advertising campaign, one must go beyond the standard procedures available and must look to test different ways to harness these standard techniques in order to gain maximum profits from the Facebook campaigns.