Directories are a well organized collection of websites/blogs/forums that make it easier for users to find websites related to different content. Each link on a directory includes a short description of the website.
Submitting your websites and blogs to directories is a good way to get some back links. Some also consider it a reasonable way to increase traffic. But is this really true and worth the trouble?
There are three types of directories:
- Free Directories: Free directories accept all links for free. Some directories may not ask you for money but may require you to add a reciprocal link to their directory on your website.
- Paid Directories: Paid directories require you to pay to get your link approved.
- Both Free and Paid: These are directories that are a combination of Free and Paid directories. You can pay to have your link listed as a featured link and thus gain more exposure.
Directories provide you with useful back links and can act as a relevant source of traffic (However you rarely see any change in). Webmasters usually consider PageRank before submitting their site to a directory. Having a link on a directory with high PageRank can help improve your website’s PageRank and can help you get traffic to your site.
However, webmasters end up getting very less PageRank benefit and traffic from directories.
The reasons for this
- PageRank – Eventhough some directories may have high PageRank for their homepage, their inner pages, where your link will be placed, rarely have any PageRank. Thus, your website’s PageRank does not get much boost.
- Traffic – We have search engines to digg up websites for us without wasting any time. Thus, it is highly possible that your site won’t get much traffic from directories because not many people visit them to look for websites.
Now, is it worth the trouble? Yes! Submitting directories is still a good way to build some back links even if they may not boost your PageRank as much as you expected. Submit your websites/blogs to directories whenever you have a chance. Sooner or later, everything will all add up and you will notice the benefits. When it comes to SEO, every little thing counts.